Recently I explained a few of Penn´s main inventions and unique features like the HT-100 drag. Now you will find all Penn´s other features for spinning and conventional reels.
* This icon indicates an adjustable (16 different casting settings)magnetic brake is built in to the reel. The magnetic brake system allows you to instantly adjust the braking effect on the spool using the turn dial. Turn clockwise and the brake effect is increased by moving the magnets closer to the spool. Turn anti-clockwise and the magnets move away from the spool reducing braking and speeding up the spool for long range casting. The only current reel in the Penn program with an adjustable magnetic brake is the MAG2 series.
* This icon indicates the reel is designed for use with braid lines. Braided lines, unlike mono, have no stretch resulting in greater direct reel pressures. For that reason not every reel on the market is suitable for use with braided lines. The braid ready icon indicates a Penn reel specifically designed for use with braided lines.
* Penn Dura-Drag™ was developed in a joint effort between Penn engineers and a leading US Auto Manufacturer supplier, and is based on the same material used in the transmissions of high-performance racing cars. Dura-Drag™ is tough and durable. It endures frequent and heavy use, plus can withstand the high levels of heat generated during big game battles. Dura-Drag™ is pre-treated with a special formula developed by Penn Engineers through extensive testing and research. The combination of new drag material and special formula gives anglers the toughest, smoothest, longest-lasting drag ever developed – a drag so revolutionary it has been trademarked Dura-Drag™. Scientific tests prove that new Penn Dura-Drag™ performance is unsurpassed. After 30 hours of drag pressure in controlled testing, Penn Dura-Drag™ looked and performed as if it were brand new, right out of its packaging, while competitive drags showed obvious signs of wear. In terms of performance and smoothness, both light-tackle and big-game anglers will greatly appreciate the lack of an initial surge in drag-pressure, common in other drag materials. Smoother start-ups without any hesitation, and more consistent drag pressures translate into fewer pulled hooks ensuring broken lines will quickly become a thing of the past. According to our field testers, this is by far the finest and smoothest drag they have ever fished.
* The Easy Access System icon is only applicable to the Atlantis Spinning reel. EAS indicates the inclusion of a maintenance hatch, held in place by one screw in the reels body. Removing the hatch gives direct access to the main gear inside the reel for the easy application of new grease.
* Eternal Alloy is a proprietary metal that resists dents and scratches. The spool lip of the Atlantis spinning reel is developed using Eternal Alloy. The biggest advantage of Eternal Alloy is that it retains a smooth spool lip for consistent, easy long range casting over the life of the reel.
* When you see this icon, the body of the conventional or spinning reel incorporates a metal body, and in the case of conventional reels also metal side plates. This ensures precise gear alignment under heavy retrieve loads.
* HT-100 is a carbon fiber fabric that’s laminated on fiberglass to provide stiffness in large sheets, then cut into strips. The name HT-100 is derived as follows; “HT” stands for High Tech, and the “100” signifies that, during original testing, the equivalent of 100 miles of fishing line was taken against the drag of a reel with no significant change to the drag washers. Inferior washers would not have lasted 20% of that time. During a long run by a large, powerful fish taking a significant amount of line, as the line level on the spool decreases the pressure required for a standard drag to give line increases. One of the biggest benefits from HT-100 carbon fiber material is that the friction decreases as it becomes hot helping maintain a smooth drag even as the spool line level falls. Since the introduction of HT-100, almost every other reel manufacturer is now using some form of carbon fiber drag washers. Penn’s Dura-drag material is another variation of the original material.
* The Infinite Anti Reverse icon stands for the elimination of back play on the rotor when instantly setting the hook. This effect is created by adding a one way bearing in the reel. All of Penn´s spinning reels are delivered with IAR, as are most of the conventional reels.
* This icon, displayed on the packaging or website, indicates a reel with perfect oscillation to give an extremely even line lay. This icon relates to the Spinfisher, Atlantis and Slammer reel series.
* This icon identifies a reel with the visible sides of the spool clearly marked with line capacity indicator rings. These rings are marked at 1/3, 2/3 and full line capacity. This new feature is only found on newly introduced reels such as the Squall, TRQ 2G, MAG2 and Fathom series.
* A Live Spindle is a unique feature! Both the spool and spindle rotate independently from the drive train and frame. This minimizes friction as the spool revolves during free spool, plus eliminates binding during heavy retrieve. This high performance feature is found on some of our new reels like the MAG2, TRQ2G, Squall LD and the Fathom SD.
* This icon applies to some of our conventional reels and indicates the line out clicker can be placed in 3 different positions: Heavy, light and free. Currently only the TRQ 2G has this feature.
* This feature eliminates any accidental changes to the drag settings. You simply set the drag in the chosen position, then turn the button on the drag handle to secure that setting. This feature is found on the Internationals and TRQ reels .
* The Quick Shift™ system is a specially designed 2-speed system that switches easily into high or low gear. This feature is available on the 2-speed version of the Internationals, GS Performance and the Graph Lite LD.
* This icon shows that this spool is suitable for use with Berkley Superlines. The difference between standard spools and Superline spools is that the Superline version is fitted with a rubber gasket in the middle that prevents the Superline from slipping under pressure. These spools are available on the Atlantis and Battle reels.
* This indicates switchblade harness lugs are fitted to a conventional reel. These fit flush in the tops of the reel side-plates when not required, but are easily flipped up in to position with the tip of your finger when securing the reel to a shoulder harness. This feature is available on the TRQ 2G and the Squall LD.
* Penn´s Techno-Balanced™ rotor is designed to ensure a very smooth retrieve. Except for the TRQ spinning reel, all the spinning reels in the program have this feature.
* The Ultimate Adjustable Clicker is only available on the International V series and provides the widest range of bait clicker settings ever, just by turning the knob.
* The Versa-Drag™ is a patented drag system with HT-100 washers. This allows the angler to pre-determine a targeted drag range by rearranging the sequence of keyed metal washers and tabbed friction washers. The Penn Versa-Drag™ provides a tremendous drag range regardless of what line-class and drag settings you are fishing. You can see below what each setting does. This great feature is unique to Penn and available on the TRQ LD, TRQ SD, Fathom, Squall SD, and GS Performance reels.